During my previous 12 years of racing, the top FAQ has ben why Wok?
The answer for that is due to its efficiant defroster when I went to work
back in the days when it was still an every day street car.

Nowdays the most common FAQ is why Juke?
That isn't such a bad question. We had planned to build a new car for 2013.
Especially since the gearbox issue was unsolvable for a reasonable price.
One way could have ben to do like Pro Mod Legend Fast Fred with the 402m burnout bickup,
and stay with the same make and model for ever and ever...
In that case we would have to build a carbon fibre Cherry,
but when building a new car, we fealt like just doing it all out.

Nissan is agressively marketing the Juke with the Juke-R and Nismo-edition.
The reason is obvious. The Juke might be urban, funny looking and a bit cool.
But you would lie if you sayed its a sports car. I wouldnt even call it sporty.
Funny looking as it is, some people even think its ugly.
Now wouldnt that be the ideal successor for the N12 Cherry?

It was far more practical as it was a hatch, and alot more sporty for its time,
but the Cherry wasnt considered too pretty at its time either.
Should qualify right?

A quick Photoshop with a streched juke body convinced us.

A serious lowering and sectioning of the body, making it a two door car
and some extremely sticky slicks and some 1000hp+ would do the job we figure.
Slim, pretty or sporty isnt what we are looking for anyway.


For starters we needed a car to make a mould from.
We had a couple of good ideas of how to obtain one.
Rental car, or loaned from a dealer were concidered,
but the easiest seemed to just simply buy one.
A Nissan Juke 2011 were bought...

In order to not damage the car, all plastics were removed
or sealed with transparent tape. 6 rolls to be precise.
After that the whole deal was waxed.



We decided to make the body in three parts.
Here is where we start making dividers for the first part.

Fille didnt like the design of the rear fenders
so he modifyed them with clay prior moulding.


Some of the stuff needed to make a glass fibre body...

After masking the car, we applyed a coating to make the the mould easyer to remove.
Then it was time to aply the gelcoat. That makes the finnish better and
also protects the car from being damaged of the polyester, wich is an exremely strong chemical.

After allowing the gelcoat to almost harden, it was time to bring the circus on.
Polyester and fibre glass in random layers. Suddenly the first part was ready.
We drove the car into our garage for hardening over night.

For some reason there were fewer people interested in helping out the next day.
I belive working your ass off for several hours in masks to aviod the toxic fumes
might not be the standard weekend pleasure all of my friends had hoped for...

Here the front has got a coat of gelcoat and we are bit by bit covering it with fibre glass and polyester.



The first two parts were made in an area that we share with lots of other folks.
To make a reservation of it you just make sure youre there first.
As soon as we started no one claimed to even enter the building,
but after covering the last part we knew we couldnt moove the car.
Therefore we got a different part of the building to make that part.


We applyed some builders foam across the mould that we covered with fibre glass
to make it strong and to keep its shape when we removed it from the car.
Here, just minutes prior opening the biggest cake ever.
Bjorn poses happily in front of the car/mould/cake...



After the moulds were removed from the car, we did a recond of it.
Then we screwed the parts together. We decided to make the front part as a separate piece.
There were just no point in making all three parts at once any way,
since the first thing we were going to do was to cut it off.

Also we had to make a scaffold to reach into the bodie
for aplying the fibre glass and polyester.

Motorkanalen.tv were at the garage to make a documentary of the project.

Yvonne from the film crew gives us a hint of the smell...

We had built a roller cart that we attached the mould in,
so that we could roll it in and let it harden inside our part of the garage over night.

A couple of days later it was time to see what we created.
It was suprisingly easy to separate the parts.
After that we discussed how to fit the body to the chassis.

It might look like we sectioned the body in far too big pieces,
but its the best way to do it as we want to keep most of the shape intact.
Motorkanalen.tv is continuing the documentary.



With the help of some offset press plates, tape and cardboard
we did a quick reality check of how it might look.
Our instant impression was that...
...hell, it will be low! =)

Just for comparing we put the original beside our beast,
and it apears as if the race car will be about 200mm lower.
-Sweet.



With that cleared, we put the chassis on a motor cycle lift as a jig.
An enormous job remains making the bodie finnished, but there are also
a couple of night shifts to make room for all fancy parts we aim to use.

Ford 9" axle, brakes, wheels, engine and electrical system
are just a few of the balls we have to crack before we can see it on the tracks.

The plan is to race it this summer 2013.







Back